How is teleCalm® safe home phone service different than other phone services?
teleCalm® is the safe phone service solution for seniors. teleCalm currently offers two levels of stress-free home phone service for seniors, both designed to stop problem calls and keep seniors connected with family and friends.
What is the basic difference in teleCalm Essentials and Caregiver?
teleCalm® offers two levels of stress-free home phone service for seniors, both designed to stop problem calls and keep seniors connected with family and friends. The teleCalm Essentials℠ service is for independent seniors and filters out scam and telemarketer calls before they have a chance to ring through to the senior’s phone. See how Essentials stops these bad calls.
The teleCalm Caregiver℠ service offers the benefits service of Essentials, as well as the Family Caregiver App. The App empowers family caregivers to manage loved one’s phone service and a whole host of problem-solving features remotely. See how Caregiver provides extra protection.
Will this replace the current home phone service?
Yes, teleCalm phone service replaces current home phone service, often times for less money than the current basic phone service. teleCalm also has simple pricing. All taxes and fees are included in the monthly pricing.
Is internet required to have teleCalm service?
No, internet is not required to have teleCalm service.
How much does teleCalm service cost?
teleCalm Essentials℠ service costs $34.49 a month, plus a one-time $50 activation fee.
teleCalm Caregiver℠ service costs $49.95 a month, plus a one-time $50 activation fee.
Both plans include free hardware rental, unlimited local and long distance, and can be canceled at any time.
Is your monthly price the total amount? Are there fees and taxes?
The monthly price is the total price. Taxes and fees are already included, so you will be not be charged any additional fees.
Can I keep my current phone number, or the phone number of my loved one?
Yes, teleCalm can transfer (port) the existing number of your loved one to teleCalm. Please note that the transfer process can take up to two weeks and you MUST keep the current phone service until the transfer is complete. During that period, you can forward the current phone number to your new, temporary teleCalm number and begin using it right away.
How do I transfer or port a phone number?
To transfer a phone number to teleCalm, you must complete a Letter of Authorization (LOA) provided by teleCalm and provide a complete copy of a recent phone bill. Once submitted, the port process can take two weeks. Do not cancel the existing service during that time, as you can lose the phone number.
Does the number have to be ported over immediately, or can we decide to do that later?
You can use the teleCalm provided phone number as long as you like, and then port your old phone number over when you are ready, as long as you have not cancelled your old service.
What if my loved one does not have a phone number?
If you don’t have an existing phone number, or don’t want to transfer a current number, teleCalm be happy to give you a new number when you sign up.
How do I forward my existing (old) phone number to the new teleCalm phone number?
From your existing phone number, enter *72 and wait for a dial tone.
Enter the phone number you want to forward calls to (the new teleCalm phone number), followed by the # key.
You’ll hear a confirmation tone when activated.
If this doesn’t work, contact your carrier for specific instructions.
I have the photo phone. How do I program the photo phone buttons?
To program the photo phone, follow these steps:
- Turn the switch on the back of the phone to Normal.
- Take the handset off hook.
- Press the STORE key.
- Dial the number you want to add.
- Press the STORE key again.
- Press the photo key you want to program (0-9 keys).
- Hang up the handset.
- Turn the switch on the back of the phone back to One Touch (if you want the phone to only be able to call the programmed numbers).
Does teleCalm support using more than one phone?
There are two ways that you can use two phones:
1. Where you plug the phone into the back of the teleCalm Adapter, you can plug a phone line splitter, which would allow you to plug in two different phone line cables, which would then attach to each phone. These are available on Amazon.
2. However, the preferred way is: Use an expandable cordless phone system, with a base station and an extension.
Here are two examples; one with an answering machine; and one without an answering machine.
Does teleCalm protection work on mobile cellular telephones as well as home telephone lines?
Currently, teleCalm only works on home phones. We are developing a solution for mobile phones and will be testing it in the near future.
Can I install teleCalm myself?
Yes, it’s very simple. An installation guide is included with your teleCalm adapter.
How soon can I start using teleCalm once I sign up?
Once you sign up for teleCalm service, your teleCalm adapter is configured and shipped within a few days. Since teleCalm adapters come plug-in ready, you can begin using the service as soon as you’ve completed a few installation steps and can hear a dial tone.
Can the teleCalm service move locations if my loved one moves?
Yes, the teleCalm service can be moved with your loved one. Please contact us to update the end user’s address, so that their 911 address is correct.
Does teleCalm provide 911 service?
Yes, we provide 911 service. During signup, you will be asked to provide the physical address of the end user. The physical address provided is used to route the 911 call to a local emergency response center.
What happens when my loved one calls 911?
- If your loved one dials 911, it will immediately connect to the 911 operator in their area based on the address provided during sign-up.
- A text message will also be sent to you, notifying you that 911 was called.
- The teleCalm Rules Engine will be turned OFF automatically to make sure any 911 operator or other emergency services can call back and reach your loved one (you will be notified of this in the text message).
- The Caregiver app will show that 911 was dialed on the Dashboard and the History screen.
- Once you are confident the emergency is over, you will need to TURN ON the teleCalm Rules Engine again under Settings, Enable the teleCalm rules engine. You should also turn the Enable Outgoing Call Rules back on as well if you are limiting outbound calling (suggested).
- Also Note: You can safely verify that 911 is working by dialing 922 from your loved one’s phone. This will connect to the 911 servers and the computer will read back the 911 address that is on file. It will also simulate the notification text messages to your cell phone.
Does 911 service work during a power or internet service outage?
911 service will not function in the event of a broadband or power outage, or if your broadband, ISP or teleCalm service is suspended or disconnected.
Will my loved one only receive calls for the contacts created in the Caregiver app?
Yes, provided the teleCalm Rules Engine is turned ON in Settings (default setting).
How does Repeat Dialing work?
The repeat dialing feature will automatically detect when your loved one starts calling the same contact over and over again, within a specified period of time, and block those outgoing calls. You can even be notified that the feature has been activated. See the blog post “Repeat Dialing Feature Promotes Peace of Mind” for more detail on how it works.
How does Quiet Hours work?
The Quiet Hours feature helps curb late night calls, and disruptive calls during work hours. The feature lets you set up two different ranges of time that your loved one is blocked from making outgoing calls. You can record a personalized message for your loved one in your own voice, reassuring them. For example: “Mom, it’s really late and we are asleep. Please call back in the morning. Or if you need to wake me, press 5 on your phone.”
You can also enable or disable the “press 5 to dial out.” When turned on, your loved one can press any key to connect their call, even during quiet hours.
How many people can use the Caregiver App?
Multiple family members can use the app. You just have to share the log in information of the primary family caregiver with them.
Can I disable the teleCalm “calling rules” at any time?
Yes, through our mobile Caregiver app you can disable and enable the teleCalm calling rules in the Settings screen. When you disable the teleCalm calling rules, it becomes a standard home phone service. Telemarketers and scammers can now easily reach your loved one.
How many minutes are included in my plan?
Your teleCalm service includes unlimited calling minutes and no long-distance charges.
Do you offer voicemail?
With teleCalm Caregiver service, here is how voicemail works, with Enable Voicemail turned ON from the Settings screen:
- All strangers will immediately be sent to Voicemail on the Caregiver app. Your loved one’s phone will not ring.
- All contacts will ring straight to your loved one’s phone, however, if they don’t answer in the 30 seconds it rings (longer than normal phone service), the call will transfer to Voicemail on the Caregiver app.
- Any blocked callers will not be given an opportunity to leave a voicemail.
- You can modify the default outgoing voicemail messages from the Settings screen. There is a different message for Contacts and Strangers.
- You can listen to voicemails from the Dashboard, by selecting the voicemail icon on the top right of the screen.
- If you want your loved one to be able to receive messages, you can use a telephone with answering machine functionality built in, or a standalone answering machine.
With teleCalm Essentials service, we currently do not offer voicemail as most of our customers prefer cordless home phone systems that already have voicemail built in. You can use a telephone that has the answering machine functionality built in, or a standalone answering machine.
How do I reboot my teleCalm adapter?
If you are having some service issues with your teleCalm service, please feel free to call teleCalm Support at 888-701-0411 Option 2, and we will be happy to help you.
To reboot your teleCalm adapter, unplug from power, wait a few seconds, plug back into power. To fully boot back up, please wait a full five minutes. Then check to see if you have a dial tone and can make a phone call.
I’m having some static on my teleCalm line. Is there anything I can do to improve that?
Yes, try these steps below to improve your call quality. And please call teleCalm Support at 888-701-0411 Option 2 and we will be happy to help.
Reboot the adapter: unplug the adapter from power, wait a few seconds, plug back into power, and wait a full 5 minutes for it to completely boot up.
Move the adapter to a higher location, like on a bookshelf or dresser.
Place the adapter at least 6″ away from a wall.
Place the adapter near a window.
Remove anything that may be on top of the adapter.
Keep the phone cords away from the adapter antenna.
Can you check to see if teleCalm will have good service in my area? My cell phone has spotty connection here.
Yes, please call us at 888-701-0411 Option 1, text us, or chat with us, and we can check the address where you plan to have service.
Who do I contact if I have a problem with my service or the app?
Please contact teleCalm Support at 888-701-0411 Option 2, or text us, or chat with us. Or email us at support@teleCalmProtects.com. We will be happy to help.
What phones do you recommend?
Although we don’t sell home telephones, we have strong opinions on different models based on years of experience serving seniors and listening to our customers. If you want a great landline replacement or home phone for yourself or somebody you love, we want to share the benefit of our experience. We hope you find this review of our favorite senior phones useful.
Are my credit card transactions secure?
Yes, all the information you enter and submit is secure. We use the highest level of security for all online transactions. teleCalm uses Stripe, securely processing billions of dollars a year for thousands of businesses.
How do I update my credit card information with teleCalm?
To update the credit card on your current teleCalm subscription, click the link below and you will be taken to Payer Portal.
How can I discontinue my service with teleCalm?
We know that circumstances change, and you may need to cancel your service with teleCalm. If you or your loved one is no longer able to use the teleCalm phone service, please contact us at 888-701-0411 Option 2 to cancel your service.